Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Bridgeview, IL Fight for Victims
Helping motorcyclists win damages for serious injuries in difficult cases
Motorcycle riding, though highly enjoyable, is inherently dangerous. Because of their smaller size, motorcycles are easy for other motorists to overlook and they provide little protection from injury to their riders. Recently, more than 80,000 motorcyclists per year are injured in accidents in the United States and more than 5,000 of those accidents involve fatalities. Motorcyclists are more than 28 times as likely to die, per mile traveled, than are car occupants. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident caused by another person’s negligence, Skinner Law Firm, P.C. in Bridgeview will fight tenaciously to get you the compensation you deserve.
Understanding Illinois law concerning helmets
Illinois does not require adult motorcyclists to wear helmets but not wearing one can reduce or eliminate your ability to recover damages if you are injured. Illinois is a comparative negligence state, which means a jury or judge in a personal injury case is required to apportion fault among all parties. A plaintiff’s damages are reduced in proportion to his or her percentage of fault and no damages can be recovered by a plaintiff whose fault is greater than 50 percent. Riding a motorcycle without a helmet thus may factor against a plaintiff who suffers head and neck injuries. As your counsel, we work to assemble evidence showing that your injuries were principally caused by another party’s negligence.
Why do motorcycle accidents occur?
The most frequent causes of motorcycle accidents are:
- Left turns by other vehicles as motorcycles are going through an intersection
- Abrupt stops by other vehicles, leading to rear-end collisions
- Car doors opening into traffic lanes
- Lane splitting (a motorcycle driving between two lanes of stopped or slow car traffic)
- Improper or erratic lane changes
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Road hazards and poor weather conditions
- Inexperienced riders
Our first step in preparation of a motorcycle accident case is determining how the accident occurred and who was at fault. We use the services of investigators and accident reconstruction experts who go to the accident scene and gather and preserve important evidence. Even when the motorcycle strikes the other vehicle, there may be other factors that contributed to causing the accident, including:
- Negligent actions by the driver of the other vehicle, such as failing to yield the right of way
- A third vehicle that forced the motorcyclist to veer into the path of the vehicle hit in the accident
- A defect in the motorcycle that contributed to the crash Even where the facts seem to favor the other driver in the accident, our careful and aggressive advocacy will strive to secure a fair settlement that will ease your financial burden.
Contact a trustworthy motorcycle accident attorney for a free initial consultation
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, turn to Skinner Law Firm, P.C. for sound advice and effective representation. We have been providing trusted legal services throughout the Cook County area for nearly 20 years. Please call 312-635-6459 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation at our Bridgeview, Illinois office.