Major Causes of Car Accidents in the Bridgeview, IL Area
Accomplished Illinois lawyer pursues compensation for crash victims
Unfortunately, dangerous car accidents in Illinois happen all too frequently. The most recent data from the Illinois Department of Transportation shows that there were more 300,000 crashes in a single year, resulting in more than 60,000 injuries and nearly 1,000 deaths. Skinner Law Firm, P.C. in Bridgeview assists victims of serious car accidents as they seek compensation to pay for medical expenses and other costs stemming from their crash. No matter what caused your accident, our firm can help. Experienced car accident attorney Steven E. Skinner II knows what it takes to secure justice for plaintiffs in auto accident litigation in Cook County and elsewhere within the state.
Types of serious injuries caused by car accidents in Illinois
Serious car accidents can lead to traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord damage, paralysis, bone fractures, organ damage, burns, scarring, amputations and other severe injuries. Neck and back pain after a car accident can be excruciating. Victims of these injuries often require extensive and costly medical treatment. If you’re in a crash, you might not be able to work anymore or only at a reduced capacity. The chronic physical pain and emotional trauma from car crashes can be debilitating and life changing. If you’ve been a victim of an injury accident caused by someone else’s negligence, we’ll explain what type of compensation you might be entitled to.
Common causes of car accidents in Bridgeview, IL
Common causes of Illinois auto accidents include the following:
- Distracted driving — Dangerous activities behind the wheel include texting and talking on cell phones. Nationwide, an average of 10 people are killed every day in distracted driving accidents according to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) data.
- Speeding and other types of aggressive driving — In more than 30 percent of Illinois crashes, speeding is cited as a factor. Weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating and other aggressive driving behaviors also cause accidents.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs — Over 25 percent of fatal crashes in Illinois involve alcohol.
- Driver fatigue — This is especially common during late night and early morning hours.
- Traffic violations — Drivers who run red lights, make unsafe lane changes and make illegal turns trigger numerous vehicle collisions.
The most hazardous roads in the Chicago area are the Dan Ryan, Eisenhower, Kennedy and Stevenson expressways, according to assessments by the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning. However, no matter how or where your crash happened, if it was caused by the negligence of another party, we will investigate the evidence and work hard toward proving liability.
Knowledgeable lawyers describe ways of preventing car accidents
Here are a few important tips to help keep yourself safe and prevent accidents:
- Drive defensively by paying attention to what other drivers around you are doing
- Maintain a safe distance from cars in front of you
- Keep your speed safe and adjust for road and weather condition.
- Turn off your cell phone so you aren’t distracted by it.
- Don’t drive if you’re tired or have consumed alcohol or drugs
Sometimes, in spite of your efforts to drive defensively and safely, you can still be the victim of a dangerous driver. If you’ve suffered an injury in a crash, we’ll advise you about legal remedies.
Contact an experienced car accident law firm for a free consultation about your case
At Skinner Law Firm, P.C. in Bridgeview, Attorney Steven E. Skinner II helps Illinois clients who have been hurt in serious car accidents. To schedule a free consultation, call our firm at 312-635-6459 or contact us online.