When Should You Hire an Attorney after a Car Accident in Illinois?
Skillful Bridgeview lawyer explains how legal representation can benefit your case
If you’ve been injured in a crash, an experienced car accident lawyer who understands the insurance claims process can increase your chances of a positive outcome. At Skinner Law Firm, P.C. in Bridgeview, we understand how insurance companies operate. Attorney Steven E. Skinner II has a strong track record of handling Illinois car accident claims and standing up to insurance companies on behalf of injured victims. When you hire our firm, you can rely on us to work hard toward getting you the compensation you deserve.
Knowledgeable law firm advocates for clients in insurance claims
When you’ve been injured in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you may get a call from the other driver’s insurance adjuster within just a few days of your crash. They may want you to give a written or recorded statement about how the accident happened. While you should cooperate with your own insurance company, you shouldn’t speak with the other party’s insurer. Anything you say may be used against you later. Even though you know the other driver was at fault, their insurer may try to assign liability or a percentage of liability to you, which can reduce your compensation while helping the insurance company save money. Refer the adjuster to your car accident attorney.
You should hire an attorney to represent you after a car accident in these situations
Here are situations in which an attorney’s assistance may make the difference to achieving a beneficial claim resolution:
- You sustained injuries and/or your car suffered extensive damage. Injury claims are very complex.
- Your injuries are severe and permanent. An attorney can help you determine how much compensation to seek when you have lifelong injuries.
- Another party contributed to causing the accident but claims they are not responsible. Attorney Steven E. Skinner II knows what evidence is needed to prove liability.
- The other driver’s insurer offered you a low-ball settlement. We have extensive experience effectively negotiating settlements.
- Your accident was due to the negligence of a governmental agency. Government agencies generally have more protections from lawsuits than private citizens, so it is worthwhile to consult with a lawyer about what rules and deadlines apply.
- A family member died from injuries sustained in the accident. If your family member died in an accident, we can represent you in a wrongful death lawsuit.
Attorney Steven E. Skinner II has effectively represented victims of auto accidents in a wide variety of situations. No matter how complex your circumstances might seem, our firm will represent you effectively when seeking fair payment for your auto accident damages in settlement discussions and, if necessary, at trial.
Can you seek compensation for damages caused by a car accident without a lawyer?
While you aren’t required to hire an attorney when you’ve been in a car accident, you can put yourself at a disadvantage if you don’t. When you have injuries after a car accident, filing a claim is a complex process and the at-fault driver will likely have a lawyer and an insurance company behind them. You will have to prove liability, figure out a value range for your claim and negotiate with insurance company adjusters and attorneys. Mr. Skinner is deeply familiar with the insurance system and can handle all the complicated legal tasks to help you secure a favorable result, including:
- Investigating and gathering evidence to prove your claim
- Bringing in expert witnesses, if necessary
- Identifying parties besides the other driver that might be liable
- Planning a legal strategy for obtaining maximum compensation
Our attorneys can also help in cases where the full extent of your injuries might not be immediately apparent. This can happen with neck and back pain after a car accident. Insurance companies frequently deny these claims outright. No matter what your car accident case involves, our experienced law firm can ease the burden on you.
Contact a Bridgeview attorney for a free consultation about your car accident case
Skinner Law Firm, P.C., in Bridgeview helps clients in Illinois get fair compensation in car accident claims. To schedule a free consultation, call our firm at 312-635-6459 or contact us online.